Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What does a military wife mean to me?

 invited me to participate in her contest. I've been thinking a lot about this, as I'm so new to the military what could I possibly have to say?

When we first got married I thought there was NO way I would ever be ok with him joining the military. I felt I wasn't strong enough to support him the way he would need. About a year ago he changed jobs. He hated it. He was miserable. We had talked about the Navy off and on before but never really seriously. After the "new job fiasco" we talked about it more seriously. We got some information and decided to go from there.

It turns out, Joey needed to lose 40 pounds in order to even qualify. I thought "well if he's serious he'll lose the weight"... a small part of me didn't believe he would/could do it. Much to my surprise he did. And a light when on in my head. He was happy and excited about life, about the Navy.

I still had my reservations about it, I was very selfish in wanting him to not join. I was scared of him dying or getting seriously hurt. I was very freaked out by it, but we talked so much about it and I saw a new passion in him that I hadn't seen before. It made me excited for him.

He enlisted and got a job. The recruiter told us he would be leaving in August, I had 5 months to prepare myself for his leaving and not being able to talk. On April 16 we got the call that he would be leaving May 4. I was shocked. I was so taken aback that I couldn't even cry. It was such a whirlwind of emotions that it felt like it flew by. Like it was a dream. We were able to spend a whole week together as a family. We spent as much time as we could together, but by Sunday night I was so emotionally drained I just needed it to be Wednesday. I needed him to leave so we could start this new chapter.

We are on week 2 of him being at bootcamp and I can tell you exactly what a military wife means to me. I cherish the moments we had together before he left for the airport. The tiny whisper of "I love you a million billion gillion times 2" in my ear and the final kiss on my lips. The smell of his neck as I hugged him tight. I treasure the card he left for Mother's Day, it has his voice telling me he loves me. Something I didn't think I would get to hear for weeks. I play it every night before I go to sleep. It means I am holding our daughter close as she cries for her daddy. Making sure she understands that he is gone because he loves us. It means that for 13 weeks I get to sleep alone. It means for 4 or 5 weeks I don't get to talk to the love of my life.

I know I'm new, I know I haven't been through a deployment yet but I can tell you how proud I am of my sailor. He is among only 2% of the population defending our freedoms. He worked so hard to get into the Navy, to benefit our family. He knew what it would mean for Lucy and I. I couldn't be prouder of anyone.

He is a Sailor in the United States Navy and I am his wife.


Wife on the Roller Coaster said...

Found you on Christina's contest. Great entry! I'm a new follower and I look forward to reading more about you!

Wife on the Roller Coaster

Jen said...


I <3 this post! I'm a fellow LDS woman and Navy wife, and stumbled across your blog on Christina's contest.

Stay strong and keep the faith!I look forward to following you!


The Sawyer Bunch said...

Thanks girls! I love new friends :)

Amber said...

I'm a new follower too! Found you through the contest at Christina's blog!

Great post!!!!!! :)

Mrs. Doc Handsome said...

I am also a new follower. Look forward to reading more. I love your entry =]

The Sawyer Bunch said...

Thanks girls!!

Amy said...

I'm so proud of you Sarah!!

Lexi said...

Hey! My husband was in the NAvy for 13 yrs and got out last june...

i would like to recommend u a book u either will now or in the future can relate to (sounds like u already will).. its an emotional, yet hilarious book! It's called Going Overboard: the misadventures of the military wife. I HIGHLY recommend it! and its by Sarah Smiley.. i garauntee you will love it. One of the best books I read for military wives.

God bless!

Christina said...

I'm so glad you entered the contest!

I must say, I teared up when I read about him leaving. I reminded me when my husband left. We had only been married a month, and the night I knew he was leaving, We were just calm and relaxed until his recruiter text him and said he'd be there in 5 minutes to pic him up. So full of emotions. But very proud emotions. I knew this is what he wanted and we made the decision together for him to join. I'm so glad that you are blogging and making military wife friends. I didn't have anyone to talk to about the military life all throughout bootcamp. I relied on many many books. But at the same time, I know a heck of a lot about the military now! lol

The Book Lexi mentioned is a good read. I can recommend others that I think are far better if you would like. I have read more than 13 military books. and about 10-12 of those are for military wives. I also have a list on my blog of the books I own, wrote a little review for each one. I need to update it! lol


The Sawyer Bunch said...

Thank you Amy! And thanks Lex. I will have to check out that Book.

Christina, that you for inviting me! I enjoyed writing it. I will check out your reading list!

thelitzfamily said...

You're going to make an amazing Navy Wife! Love the blog, I will definitely be keeping up with this one!


Post a Comment

Let's all be adults here, please be respectful in your comments! Thanks for the comment and the love. I'd love to reply to you! If your email is not linked to your comment feel free to add it!

Copyright Confessions of a Sailor's Wife Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs