Thursday, September 30, 2010

PCOS

Also known as: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.

Taken from Wikipedia: is one of the most common female endocrine disorders affecting approximately 5%-10% of women of reproductive age (12–45 years old) and is thought to be one of the leading causes of female infertility.

I was diagnosed in late August 2005. At that time, my doctor informed me that it would be incredibly difficult not impossible but certainly difficult  to get pregnant. I was horrified. I felt like a failure as a woman. How could I be a good wife if I couldn't even give my husband a child of his own? My amazing husband was so sweet, he never once told me I was an awful wife. He never once made me feel bad about this problem, he embraced the idea of adoption. At that point in our marriage (only having been married a month) we weren't ready for children but we knew we wanted them. 

We decided to start "trying" for a baby in December 2005. We just decided to stop protecting against it. In June 2006, I stopped having periods and I was so sure I was pregnant. For the next 9 weeks I tested every other day and had about 6 blood tests all with negative results. I was really mad! Why wasn't I having a period if I wasn't pregnant?

In early August Sailor Man and I were attending the Temple, when he looked at me and said "you're pregnant". I couldn't help but laugh "are you kidding me? we just spent all that money on pee tests and blood tests that all says no." But he made me stop at the dollar store and pick up a test. I tested in the morning to make him happy and to my surprise it was positive! We got an appointment with the doctor and discovered I was 8 1/2 weeks pregnant. I was an extremely paranoid pregnant woman. I was always sure something was wrong with Lucy or that I wasn't going to make it to 9 months. 

On March 7, 2007 I was standing in my moms kitchen making spaghetti-o's when I felt a trickle in my pants. I thought I had peed my pants and I was embarrassed! However, when I went to sit on the toilet a little more came out and then a little more. It didn't feel like pee but like a release of pressure. So I called up to L&D and said "this is weird but I think my water just broke, but it could just be pee?"
 

The woman just laughed and said come on over and we'll check you out. I waited 15 minutes for my mom to get home to take me to the hospital. We waited for about an hour to find out the results and sure enough, my water broke and I was admitted. I called Sailor Man and he headed over. I was only a finger tip dilated so I had a LOOOOOOOONG way to go. After pills in my cervix, pitocin, walking around and waiting waiting waiting (for 28 hours) my doctor and I decided to go ahead with a c-section. 4:07pm on March 8, 2007 my miracle baby Lucy graced the world with her presence.

I was overcome with joy right at that moment and I knew that I was in heaven. When Lucy turned 9 months Sailor Man and I decided to stop protecting again. This time we had a much harder time. The hormones from the pregnancy really screwed up my system and I had to be put on birth control, taken off, put back on and taken off.. only to have my periods basically disappear when I'm off birth control. Lucy will be 4 in March and (before he left) we have officially been trying for 18 months.

Adoption has been more and more present in my thoughts, and maybe it was because I always assumed fertility was out of our price range, I'm not sure. Yesterday I was at the park with a couple of moms and we were talking about kids and stuff and I discovered that tricare will pay for fertility! I am going to the office tomorrow to speak with them about it. If there are spots available at the doctor's office I am going to get my name on that list.

Now, don't get me wrong I am extremely interested in adoption, but I'm excited to explore the options I never thought were available to me.

I'm also posting this blog right now, because as of tomorrow I am back on the bandwagon to lose weight. A side effect of PCOS is weight gain (as read in the article posted above) and a treatment (there is no cure) for PCOS is weight loss. If I can lose some of the weight it will increase my chances of having a baby naturally. I have a lot of weight to lose, about 120 - 125 pounds, but I think that is to say I hope I have to will power to actually do it. 

So wish me luck. This is all very exciting and new to us. I am sad that he is not here to get all this information with me, but I'm hoping I'll be all prepared when he gets home!




9 comments:

*~BrittDill~* said...

That is awesome! I wish you and your husband the best of luck with your family!

kmelanese said...

That is awesome that tricare will pay for fertilty!! If I could give you mine i would!! Good luck with the weight loss! You can do it!!

the C.W. said...

Hey, I have a friend who has a pretty similar story with PCOS. She did Weight Watchers and lost at least 60 lbs. Tricare paid for her rounds on Clomid, and then they did artificial insemination, and she is 29 weeks through her pregnancy with twins now. She's been on bedrest through most of it, which doesn't sound too great, but it's working.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Navy has adoption benefits. Most healthcare does. My sister is adopted and my husband has 2 adopted siblings, so we've been around it a lot. I'm glad you're thinking about going this route; it's where my heart is. (I don't know if I'm infertile yet, but this is what I know I'd do if I was.)

Good luck with whatever you end up doing. And best of luck with the weight loss!

____j said...

Good luck with everything!

Mrs H. said...

Yay for tricare! I wish you and sailor man all the luck.

♥ Elizabeth said...

Best of luck, lady! I'm on the weight watchers train... moving slowly but surely. It's easier when hubs is gone :) Kee[s us up to date!

Allie said...

Thank you for sharing your story! And best of luck to you!

Islandalli said...

Tricare only paid for half of our many, many fertility treatments. We still paid almost $10k. It depends on where you are and what programs are available there. It's possible, and if you look at my darling Megan, so so so worth it.

Carmen said...

I have a rare form of PCOS since I have none of the causes (overweight, diabetes, etc) and I have to have a surgery before I can even think about trying for kids but I still have a while to go. I told my husband that if we can't have kids on our own we would consider adoption. Good luck with everything hun!

Post a Comment

Let's all be adults here, please be respectful in your comments! Thanks for the comment and the love. I'd love to reply to you! If your email is not linked to your comment feel free to add it!

 
Copyright Confessions of a Sailor's Wife Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs