Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Marie Claire

I know today is "Wordless Wednesday" but, I came across an article today that absolutely breaks my heart. This article was posted on Marie Claires website and has caused a bit of a stir on the web.

Should "Fatties" get a room? (even on TV?) You can read the full article with an apology from the writer on the bottom, along with nearly 1000 comments from people. Here are so highlights:

"CBS sitcom Mike & Molly. As CNN explains, "the show centers around a couple who meet at an Overeaters Anonymous group [and] has drawn complaints for its abundance of fat jokes [as well as] cries from some viewers who aren't comfortable watching intimacy between two plus-sized actors." My initial response was: Hmm, being overweight is one thing — those people are downright obese!""

"So anyway, yes, I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room — just like I'd find it distressing if I saw a very drunk person stumbling across a bar or a heroine addict slumping in a chair."

So what are your thoughts? Do you feel this woman was totally out of line or was she right up the alley? For me personally, the fact that people think all obese people are that way because they can't put down a fork are way out in left field. In my post "a step" I talked about this very thing. Yes, some people are overweight because they eat McDonalds every day, or because they eat candy all day long, but there are plenty of obese and overweight people who are that way because of underlying causes. 

I started gaining weight as a side effect of PCOS, severe depression, and finding out eating out was easier than cooking a meal for myself (at college). It is not as easy as it sounds to put down the fork and walk away. In my previous post I discussed that for me, food is a comfort. Food was there for me when I was all alone in college dealing with my issues. Food never judges me, it listens to my cries without saying a word (do I sound psycho!?) and it makes me feel better. 

There are many many other causes and I feel it's unfair to judge all overweight people based on the thought "You can change, you just have to put your mind to it", the same can be said for any addiction/problem anyone in the world has. Would you be so insensitive to someone who is addicted to pain killers? No, you would send them to rehab and say (something to the effect of) "he has some depression he's dealing with. He needs help". Yes he does, and so do over-eaters. 

While her article is her own opinion, and I respect that people have opinions, she was outright mean. I actually started to tear up as a result of my reading the article. Do people think that of me when I walk in a room? Do people think Sailor Man is gross because I am his wife? Do people laugh at me behind my back? 
I sincerely hope, you have a chance to get to know who I am before you judge me based on my weight. I am trying to lose the weight but it is hard. I can't flip a switch and be a totally different person who suddenly loves working out and who doesn't eat. I just don't have that power in me. I do have the power to change it slowly and I am, but it's going to take a while. A long while.


4 comments:

____j said...

I think that article makes that person sound extremely ignorant. And that fact that the people at Marie Claire even let that get published disgusts me. If it bothers them that much, just DON'T watch the show. It's not that hard. Personally, I think Melissa McCarthy is cute as a button. I've LOVED her since she was on Gilmore Girls.

♥ Elizabeth said...

Ummm... let me just put my taco bell wrappers in the trash and get back to reading *blushing with embarassment*

I can't believe they published that! Even for severely obese people, how can they compare that to HEROINE? Sadly, there is some 13 year old girl seeing this, going into the bathroom right now to throw up so she doesn't become "that way". I am disgusted that adults think this way and project this mentality on future generations- while preaching about stopping hate.

Thank you for sharing.

Mrs H. said...

I cant believe anyone would publish this. I'd say more but I'm pretty much speechless.

kmelanese said...

Wow!! That is completely ignorant for someone to publish that!! Like someone else said if you don't like watching it, CHANGE THE CHANNEL!!!!! You know what grosses me out? Having to watch a gay couple make out on TV. I would much rather watch overweight people than the gays. But do you see me flaunting my opinion everywhere? No, I choose not to watch those shows. Besides, seeing overwight people on TV brings hope to us. We all can't be Jennifer Aniston or Courtney Cox. We are real people wanting to watch real people! Grrr... This angers me!

Post a Comment

Let's all be adults here, please be respectful in your comments! Thanks for the comment and the love. I'd love to reply to you! If your email is not linked to your comment feel free to add it!

 
Copyright Confessions of a Sailor's Wife Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs