Tuesday, January 11, 2011

homemade bread

I made bread last week and it was gone in about a day. Sailor Man asked me to make some more, and I have a feeling this will become a weekly occurrence. There is something about homemade bread that just makes you turn into mush. I picked up this recipe a couple years ago from all recipes, and I LOVE it. It's a perfect bread for just about anything. We made meatloaf sandwiches with it last week, toast for breakfast, and I'm using it as a "spoon" for my chowder tonight.

Amish White Bread

Ingredients

  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 cups bread flour

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
  2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
  3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

 Seriously, so gooooood!

 

 

1 comments:

Arlie Rene said...

Thanks Sarah! I think I'm going to try this one!!!

Post a Comment

Let's all be adults here, please be respectful in your comments! Thanks for the comment and the love. I'd love to reply to you! If your email is not linked to your comment feel free to add it!

 
Copyright Confessions of a Sailor's Wife Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs