Sunday, April 3, 2011

Guest Blogger - Would You Wait For Me?

Today my guest blogger is the fab-u-lous Samantha from Navy Doll. Please go check out her blog if you haven't already, you won't be disappointed!

First of all I would like to say THANK YOU to Sailor Wife for asking me to guest blog. I adore her blog and I wasn't about to say no. Ok, now that the bloggy stalker love is out of the way, we can continue with our regularly scheduled program.

I've never been the type of spouse to complain about my husband's long hours, back to back deployments, or spontaneous underways. Sure it irks me when he misses special occassions, but it comes with the territory. But I'm not made of stone. I have emotions and I use them. On the off times that I post something depressing about him being gone, I quickly catch myself and retract my statements. Hey, moments of weakness happen.
Our lives are centered on the needs of the military. We are well aware of this before going into the relationship. Or at least we should be.

They are home one day and gone the next. They miss dinners and tucking the kids into bed. All the while you take care of everything so that they don't have to. You pay the bills, grocery shop, clean the house, fix what's broken, and most importantly, you wait. You wait all day for that email, that phone call, that skype, or even that letter. You wait for the flowers they send "just because". You wait for them with a heavy heart and strength. It separates the kids from the adults.

And with all this waiting and playing superhero, you wonder, "Would they wait for me?" Would they do the same for me if I had to leave at any time? Would the kids remember me because they make pillows and cards with my face on it? Would they replay their voice mail just to hear the sound of my voice? Would they stay faithful, honor me, love me, be there for me, and encourage me to keep my dreams alive while they set aside their own?

Now for some of you who are dual military, you probably know the answer to this question. And even though I was dual military at one point, I never had the chance to deploy. But I do know the sacrifices we have to make so that we can both live the dream.

But for those who don't know, it is a question that may never be answered.

I asked this question to my husband and his response, "I'd wait my whole life for you". Isn't that something you would want to hear? It wasn't forced or strained. It was fluid, straight to the point, and true.
And I know that there are times you want to give up. You wonder if this is all worth it. The next time you feel that way, ask your significant other, "Would you wait for me?" When they say yes, put yourself in their shoes. It's your turn to go off and defend your country. You have to make a different kind of sacrifice this time. You have to miss your life at home. But you know that you have someone there for you, waiting for you, day by day. That's what gets you by. That's what brings you home. So this life doesn't seem so bad after all...


Navy Doll


BWS tips button

3 comments:

Samantha said...

Thanks so much for having me guest blog! You're awesome!

chambanachik said...

Beautiful. Love it.

Joan said...

Beautiful, Sam!

Post a Comment

Let's all be adults here, please be respectful in your comments! Thanks for the comment and the love. I'd love to reply to you! If your email is not linked to your comment feel free to add it!

 
Copyright Confessions of a Sailor's Wife Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs