Monday, May 2, 2011

Adventures in the City: Hollywood (part 2)

Hollywood Boulevard
The Walk of Fame
One of the things I most wanted to see in Hollywood was the Walk of Fame and the Chinese Theater. There's a little school girl suppressed inside of me that was down right giddy at the thought of seeing the stars and handprints. As we walked around Hollywood Blvd., I realized how easy it must be to get a star on the walk. There were a couple of real head scratchers in there..

Uh.. yeah. It puzzled me all day, so I decided to look up what it takes to get a Star on the Walk of Fame. Here's what I found out:


  • Build a notable career in film, television, music, live theater, or radio.
  • Get your studio or record company to sponsor you. Sponsorship from an established entertainment company may enhance your chances.
  • Get your sponsor to fill out an application. Download it from the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce website or request a copy by mail.
  • Provide a brief history of your career. Highlight your most prestigious accolades.
  • Include a photograph of yourself. Use a shot from your most memorable and acclaimed role.
  • Set a date to appear at the induction. If your application is approved, you MUST appear.
They also have these tips:


  • You can enhance your chances by contributing your time and money to charities and fundraisers.
  • Applications are due by May 31.
  • The Committee does not accept signature petitions.
  • If you die, your sponsor must wait five years before submitting your application.
  • In case of a fan nomination, celebrity management must send a letter of agreement.
  • It costs $15,000 to install and maintain your star.


So when you read those "instructions" it seems a little self promoting doesn't it? I mean it seems a little self centered to do all that, but there are around 2,400 stars on the walk of fame... so I guess Hollywood really is so vain. 


I did enjoy seeing these stars though, like I wanted to bend over and hug them, but I didn't want to be that weirdo. 

 
 There are also a TON of characters that walk up and down the blvd., they will pose for a picture with you, IF you tip them. I don't know how much money they actually make each day, but I don't imagine them making a good amount of money. I am a cheap-o and I wasn't about to pay to take a picture with anyone so I had to be sneaky, so I didn't get to many pictures but they had Barbie, Rapunzel, Darth Vader, Diego, Ghost Face, Chucky, Michael Myers, Mario, a few Johnny Depp's, a couple Cat Women (1 of which we really think was a tranny), Woody & Buzz and then some random people. 



 
 tomorrow...Grauman's Chinese Theater


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Go here: http://www.farmersmarketla.com/ It's my favorite place in the area. I grew up around LA. :) You can eat some real yummy food there.

♥ Elizabeth said...

Ahhh, I just blogged about Grauman's :D Next, our "celebrity" sightings! I have so many pictures, I have like 20 more posts in my head!

Post a Comment

Let's all be adults here, please be respectful in your comments! Thanks for the comment and the love. I'd love to reply to you! If your email is not linked to your comment feel free to add it!

 
Copyright Confessions of a Sailor's Wife Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs