Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Dinner with Warriors

About a month ago I received an e-mail from a woman who had a friend who was seriously injured during the war. She was saddened by the lack of news coverage given to those who have died or our seriously injured during this war, people aren't getting everything they need. She came up with an idea of a cookbook - Dinner with Warriors. She's complied a 150 page cookbook with about 120 recipes in it, ALL from family members of service men and women who have died or have been seriously injured.

What I love most about this project is all the proceeds have gone to different organizations such as:
In the past year or so they have raised about $8,000 for these organizations and hope to increase that number over the next year.

My only complaint about the book is that it's not divided into sections. All the recipes are inner mixed, but they have an index in the back so it's not that much of an inconvenience. I loved flipping through the pages looking at the recipes and reading their stories. I was touched by a lot of them, and even brought to tears by a few. I decided I would make 3 dishes from the book - a salad, a main dish, and a dessert. This might get a little long, but it's worth the read!

Creamy Cucumber Salad (submitted by Christopher M Wilsons mother - he was KIA 3/29/2007)

2 Cucumbers
1/4 c. Milk
1/2 small container sour cream (about 1/2 c.)
1 tbsp vinegar
3 tbsp sugar
Dill Weed (lot's - I used about 2 tbsp)

-Combine everything but the cucumber in a bowl, mix well.
-Peel and slice cucumbers
-Mix together. - I made it about 6 hours before dinner to let it soak in

---------------------------------------------------------------

Maw-Maw's Chicken Casserole - (Submitted by Sgt. Scott Angel's Wife - He was KIA 9/11/2007)

3 or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cooked)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
8 oz. sour cream
1 c. chicken broth
1 package stove top stuffing (chicken or turkey)
1 stick of butter

-Boil the chicken (I use the crock pot -- see picture)
-Mix both cans of soup and sour cream together
-Shred the chicken
-Layer chicken on the bottom of a pan
-Add soup and sour cream mix
-Sprinkle Stove Top on top
-Melt butter and add chicken broth to melted butter (I used the same chicken broth from when I cooked the chicken)
-Pour butter/broth mixture all over the top of the stuffing
-Cook at 350 for 30 minutes

---------------------------------------------------------------

Paul Newman Cake - (Submitted by Adam Crumpler's Grandma -- He was KIA 6/18/05)


1 box chocolate cake mix
1 can condensed milk
1 jar caramel topping
1 tub Cool Whip
3 Fifth Avenues (I couldn't find these ANYWHERE, so we used Heath bars instead)

-Cook the chocolate cake as directed on box
-While still hot poke holes all over it with the end of a wooden spoon
-Pour condensed milk over the top and then the caramel
-Let the cake cool completely
-Spread cool whip all over the top
-Sprinkle crushed up Fifth Avenues on the top
-Place in fridge overnight

---------------------------------------------------------------

And here I am enjoying it all...



NOW! Here is your chance to win a copy of this amazing cookbook. I have really enjoyed it and I want YOU to enjoy it with me.

Here's how you can enter to win-- Leave a separate comment for EACH one you do-- You don't have to do any of them but each one you do increases your chances of winning! Each comment is 1 entry


That's it! Leave a separate comment for each entry.. the contest is open from now until Saturday May 14 Monday May 16 at noon PST.

Good luck!

24 comments:

The Sometimes Single Mom said...

I'm a public follower :D

Allie said...

I'm a follower! And I shall do more later!

Nicole said...

I'm a follower of your blog :)
fsc200408@yahoo.com

Nicole said...

I liked Dinner with Warriors on FB

Nicole said...

I liked Wounded Warrior Project on FB

Nicole said...

I liked Children of Fallen Soldiers on FB

Nicole said...

aaaand Soldier's Angels

Nicole said...

liked Home for our Troops

Nicole said...

and finally, I liked TAPS.
Now I just need to come up with a recipe! This is a great giveaway! :)

Dr. Army Wife said...

I like dinner with warriors on facebook.

Dr. Army Wife said...

I'm a follower!

Dr. Army Wife said...

and finally TAPS!

Dr. Army Wife said...

and home for our troops

Dr. Army Wife said...

I like children of fallen soldiers on FB

Dr. Army Wife said...

I like wounded warriors on facebook

Dr. Army Wife said...

I like soldiers angels

Mrs H. said...

liked "Dinner with Warriors" on face book!

Mrs H. said...

I'm a follower!!

Mrs H. said...

Liked " Wounded Warriors" on facebook

Mrs H. said...

Liked "Children of Fallen Soldiers Relief Fund" on FB

Mrs H. said...

liked ''Homes for Our Troops'' on FB

Mrs H. said...

Liked "Soldier's Angels" on fb

Heather said...

I am a follower!

♥ Elizabeth said...

Dang, I think I'll just buy it- Where can it be purchased? Through a specific website of theirs? Also, the person who contacted you- could you give them my personal e-mail and maybe we can sell them at the Sand Dollar? We sell TAPS bracelets already- this would be neat to have in the store. I'll fb you.

Post a Comment

Let's all be adults here, please be respectful in your comments! Thanks for the comment and the love. I'd love to reply to you! If your email is not linked to your comment feel free to add it!

 
Copyright Confessions of a Sailor's Wife Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs