Saturday, May 28, 2011

Movie Review Saturday: The Young Victoria






2009 - Drama, Biography, History, Romance - Rated PG for some mild sensuality, a scene of violence, and brief incidental language and smoking.

Director: Jean-Marc Vallee
Writer: Julian Fellowes
Starring: Emily Blunt, Rupert Friend, and Paul Bettany

Storyline: (borrowed from IMDB) "Dominated by her possessive mother and her bullying consort,Conroy, since childhood, teen-aged Victoria refuses to allow them the power of acting as her regent in the last days of her uncle, William IV's rule. Her German cousin Albert is encouraged to court her for solely political motives but, following her accession at age eighteen, finds he is falling for her and is dismayed at her reliance on trusty premier Melbourne. Victoria is impressed by Albert's philanthropy which is akin to her own desire to help her subjects. However her loyalty to Melbourne, perceived as a self-seeker, almost causes a constitutional crisis and it is Albert who helps restore her self-confidence.She proposes and they marry, Albert proving himself not only a devoted spouse,prepared to take an assassin's bullet for her, but an agent of much-needed reform, finally endorsed by an admiring Melbourne"

Personal Thoughts: Truthfully, I don't know much about history aside from what I learned in school. That being said, I adore this movie. I love the costumes, the language, the acting, the scenery, the casting, the romance, the drama, the real lifeness, everything. I cried during the emotional times and laughed when I was supposed too. The "professional" reviews of the movie were so-so, but my review is a solid positive. I assume that much of the story is based on historical facts, not fiction. Aside from personal conversations the Royal's history is fairly thorough and would be easily replicated. I truly felt that Emily Blunt's performance was spectacular, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to portray a real person, let alone a queen. Queen Victoria was, I think, the most beloved Queen, so it would be a lot to live up too. I think she did splendidly! You could feel her passion coming through the screen, and you could feel the love she shared with Albert but her fear of making the wrong decisions.

Seeing this movie has inspired me to read some books based on their lives. I love the idea of a love that lasts the ages, and Queen Victoria and Prince Albert's love does. Prince Albert died at the age of 42, and for her 42 remaining year she had his clothes laid out every morning, and she wore only black. I love that idea, not the constant mourning, but the idea that she never forgot her great love.

*Available via Instant Netflix

Sailor's Wife Star Rating (out of 5): tStartStartStartStar








2 comments:

Samantha said...

You should make this a linky! I would DEFINITELY contribute. :)

Mrs. 147 said...

Oooh! That sounds good! I've never heard of this movie but I'll have to look it up and watch it!!

Post a Comment

Let's all be adults here, please be respectful in your comments! Thanks for the comment and the love. I'd love to reply to you! If your email is not linked to your comment feel free to add it!

 
Copyright Confessions of a Sailor's Wife Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs