Saturday, May 21, 2011

Movie Review Saturday

Welcome to the very first segment. For the first couple times I'm going to play around with how to post to see which I like the best :)

This week I am going to review:

 (image via google)

2010 - Drama/Romance - Rated PG-13 on appeal for brief strong language, some sexual references and male rear nudity.

based on the 2006 Best Seller, "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert

Director: Ryan Murphey (Glee!)
Writer(s): Ryan Murphey and Jennifer Salt
Starring: Julia Roberts, Javier Bardem and Richard Jenkins

Storyline: (borrowed from IMDB): "Liz Gilbert (Roberts) had everything a modern woman is supposed to dream of having - a husband, a house, a successful career - yet like so many others, she found herself lost, confused, and searching for what she really wanted in life. Newly divorced and at a crossroads, Gilbert steps out of her comfort zone, risking everything to change her life, embarking on a journey around the world that becomes a quest for self-discovery. In her travels, she discovers the true pleasure of nourishment by eating in Italy; the power of prayer in India, and, finally and unexpectedly, the inner peace and balance of true love in Bali."

Personal Thoughts: This is probably the first time in my history where I enjoyed the movie more than the book. I was not a fan of the book at all, and was hesitant to watch the movie. Sailor Man was on duty last night so I was in the mood for a chick flick. This movie delivered. I am a fan of Julia Roberts and I have a gigantic crush on Javier Bardem, so it was a perfect match for me. I laughed and cried with Liz and I felt joyful watching her interact with these new cultures. I really enjoyed her travels in Italy. I loved listening to her struggle to learn the language and her proudly gaining the weight while enjoying her food. If I were a single woman, I would go and spend a lot of time in Italy doing the same thing, eating my way through the country! I loved her realization in India when she realized what was holding her back from inner peace and balance, what a hard way to get through it, but she did.

There were a few things that bothered me in the book that carried over into the movie. Liz's feelings of "not knowing how to be HERE" really bothered me. She seems so selfish and self centered in her own little world that she couldn't see how much she was destroying the life of her husband, her lover, and then her "true love". I didn't like how she seemed to just "run away" and not look back. In the book she came off as very snooty and selfish and that may be why I didn't enjoy the book, but there was something about actually watching the story unfold that changed my mind. I was anxious and heart broken for her.

The mixture of my emotions, her emotions and my dislike for the book, gave me a really great experience with the movie.

Sailor's Wife Star Rating (out of 5): tStartStartStar

*Available via Instant Netflix

5 comments:

Amy Hannah said...

I enjoyed the book WAY more than the movie..but basically for the same reasons. When reading (any book) I kind of put myself in as the main...and somehow twist the thoughts/words/feelings into how I would act/feel (more of a rationalization). I can't do that so much with a movie. I think she (Liz) is much to selfish and hurtfully naive to everyone in her life. I would hate to be like that. Her viewpoint and journey, in my opinion, really tarnish what a spiritual journey SHOULD be.

A Randomlicious Blog for the Soul said...

Awesome, makes me want to watch it again! I think I will! :) Have a great weekend

Keri said...

I totally love the stars at the end of you post, so professional...so you. love it. and i was hesitant to watch this movie as well but may give it a whirl sometime, i may relate a little to her search for inner peace and balance.

Nicole said...

I couldn't get into the movie or the book...I was expecting so much more because of all the hype! But I did like the Italy part...probably because of all the yummy looking food! Great review!

Allie said...

I have to say I feel the opposite! I enjoyed the book way more. I feel like her thoughts are much more easily understood in the book, you see what she is thinking and why in much more detail. In the movie she just looks flighty and selfish, but I didn't get that from the book.

My husband actually watched the movie with me and was asking why I had enjoyed the book so much (based on how the main character behaved) and I had to explain to him the difference.

I liked the movie, I love Julia Roberts, and the views were gorgeous, but I have to say storywise the book was just better for me.

Post a Comment

Let's all be adults here, please be respectful in your comments! Thanks for the comment and the love. I'd love to reply to you! If your email is not linked to your comment feel free to add it!

 
Copyright Confessions of a Sailor's Wife Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs