If you're new and unsure of what to do, read this post and it will get you started!
Potato Side Dishes
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
This recipe comes from The Pioneer Woman, and is seriously amazing!
- 5 pounds Russet Or Yukon Gold Potatoes
- ¾ cups Butter
- 1 package (8 Oz.) Cream Cheese, Softened
- ½ cups (to 3/4 Cups) Half-and-Half
- ½ teaspoons (to 1 Teaspoon) Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- ½ teaspoons (to 1 Teaspoon) Black Pepper
1. Peel and cut the potatoes into pieces that are generally the same size. Bring a large pot of water to a simmer and add the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 to 35 minutes. When they’re cooked through, the fork should easily slide into the potatoes with no resistance, and the potatoes should almost, but not totally, fall apart.
2. Drain the potatoes in a large colander. When the potatoes have finished draining, place them back into the dry pot and put the pot on the stove. Mash the potatoes over low heat, allowing all the steam to escape, before adding in all the other ingredients.
3. Turn off the stove and add 1 ½ sticks of butter, an 8-ounce package of cream cheese and about ½ cup of half-and-half. Mash, mash, mash! Next, add about ½ teaspoon of Lawry’s Seasoning Salt and ½ a teaspoon of black pepper.
4. Stir well and place in a medium-sized baking dish. Throw a few pats of butter over the top of the potatoes and place them in a 350-degree oven and heat until butter is melted and potatoes are warmed through.
Note: When making this dish a day or two in advance, take it out of the fridge about 2 to 3 hours before serving time. Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 20 to 30 minutes or until warmed through.
Mom's Famous Potato Salad
- 1 5lb sack of potatoes, pealed and cooked
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 or 6 dill pickles, cubed
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Peel potatoes, boil whole
2.When potatoes are fork tender, but not so tender they fall apart, cut them into cubes
3. Cool the potatoes with cold water
4. Add potatoes to a large bowl, add pickles, onions, eggs and mayo. Start with a little mayo and add small amounts at a time. Salt & pepper to taste. Refrigerate at least 4 hours. Stir before serving, adding more mayo/salt/pepper if needed!
Next week: Lasagna