Monday, August 22, 2011

Gettin' Crafty

I'm starting a new segment on my blog, aren't you so excited? As you are aware, I am just about obsessed with Pinterest, and all the amazing idea's I get from them. I haven't had time to do much crafting yet. I'm hoping once school starts for Goose I'll have a little bit of time {before I start, and then I don't know what I'm going to do!}, and I'm going to use it as a way to unwind!

I have a friend who has graciously given me some of her tutorials to pass on to you. She is a super crafter, and makes me jealous!

Easy Magnet Tutorial


Ever wonder what you can do with left over pieces of scrapbook paper?  This is a cute and useful way to make sure your beautiful scraps don't go to waste.  Magnets are so useful to have on your refrigerator.  Trash those ugly food delivery magnets and replace them with these cheap and easy to make magnets .  Here is what you need :  
1.)  A bag of clear, flat-bottomed glass pebbles.  You can find these at any craft store.  They are usually located in the floral section.  They come in a smaller size and a larger size.  I opted for the larger size for this project.  2.)  A clear / flexible craft glue (silicone based)  3.)  Scraps of pretty paper  4.)  Scissors  5.)  Pen  6.)  Strong magnets.  I got a pack of 50 magnets at Hobby Lobby for about $3.50!


Step 1 :  Position a pebble over the image you wish to use and trace around it with a pen.  Don't worry too much about accuracy at this point because we will trim the excess later.  I am using thick scrapbook paper, but if what you are using is thin like comics from the newspaper, you may want to glue it onto another piece of scrap paper to make it thicker so the glue will not soak through and ruin your image.  You can repurpose your junk mail for this.




Step 2 :  Use a toothpick to apply a generous amount of glue to the flat side of the pebble
Step 3 :  Adhere the image you cut out to the pebble making sure to press firmly and remove any small air bubbles in the glue.  Wipe away excess glue and trim away any excess paper sticking out from the pebble



Step 4 :  After that glue has dried a bit, apply glue to one side of the magnet and press firmly onto the back of your pebble.  When letting the glue dry, make sure not to place your magnets to close to one another.  I made this mistake and my magnets slapped together and made a huge mess!


Step 5 :  Let your glue dry for a day then beautify your refrigerator with them!  
 

Here are some other neat ideas when making your magnets:  
*  Use buttons!  Layer your buttons by stringing them together first and then glue your magnet








*  Use comics or small scale photos of your friends! 
 
*  Make your own alphabet!  Print out letters in fun fonts and adhere them to smaller  sized pebbles.  Great for leaving special messages to your hunny bunny every morning!
 This is such a fun and easy craft that really ands some uniqueness to your kitchen.  I bought enough supplies to do about 50 magnets and it only costed me about $9!!!




10 comments:

Photina said...

Those are cute!

Nicole said...

Such a cute idea!

iRgruntwife said...

OH I LOVE IT!

Briana Rose said...

Those are darling. Now definitely on my project list! :)

Whitney said...

I love this so much! So easy and cute!

Jenny and James said...

OH MY GOSH! So FREAKING cute! Yeah, I have something to do now :)

Ruthykins said...

this looks like a lot of fun and really easy! I'll definitely have to do this on my own!

Anonymous said...

L.O.V.E this idea! It's so great that you are posting crafts now!

Shea said...

Lovvvvee this idea!! Glad I stumbled upon your blog! =)

Tay said...

I love those!

Post a Comment

Let's all be adults here, please be respectful in your comments! Thanks for the comment and the love. I'd love to reply to you! If your email is not linked to your comment feel free to add it!

 
Copyright Confessions of a Sailor's Wife Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs