At least 2,985 people died in the September 11, 2001, attacks, including:
- 19 terrorists
- 2,966 victims [2,998 as of Spring 2009]
There were 266 people on the four planes:
- American Airlines Flight 11 (crashed into the WTC): 92 (including five terrorists)
- United Airlines Flight 175 (crashed into the WTC): 65 (including five terrorists)
- American Airlines Flight 77 (crashed into the Pentagon): 64 (including five terrorists)
- United Flight 93 (downed in Shanksville, PA): 45 (including four terrorists)
There were 2,595 people in the World Trade Center and near it, including:
- 343 NYFD firefighters and paramedics
- 23 NYPD police officers
- 37 Port Authority police officers
- 1,402 people in Tower 1
- 614 people in Tower 2
- 658 people at one company, Cantor Fitzgerald
- 1,762 New York residents
- 674 New Jersey residents
- 1 NYFD firefighter killed by a man jumping off the top floors of the Twin Towers
There were 125 civilians and military personnel at the Pentagon.
1,609 people lost a spouse or partner on 9/11. More than 3,051 children lost parents.
While it was mostly Americans who were killed in this horrific attack, there were also 327 foreign nationals.
(taken from WikiAnswers)
The fact is, 19 people woke up that morning and changed the way America would be. The way Americans would think of themselves. The way our country was. America hasn't been the same since that fateful September morning.
We have gone to war for this and I personally feel that some people have forgotten what we're fighting for. Sailor Man wrote in his e-mail this morning a comment his Captain made this morning: "civilians are like sheep and the armed forces are sheepdogs. The relationship isn’t always the friendliest unless there is a wolf out to attack the sheep."
I am thankful every single day for the men and woman who are fighting to protect my country, my freedom, my life. To those who have died, in the attacks and in the war since, Thank you and may you rest in peace.
Always remember, Never forget 9/11/01