Usually I post pictures of me cooking my recipe, but my camera died and I couldn't find the charger, so use your imaginations!
Salsa Chicken and Rice Casserole (courtesy of all recipes)
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 2/3 cups water
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups mild salsa
- Place rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.(I used my rice cooker)
- Meanwhile, place chicken breast halves into a large saucepan, and fill the pan with water. Bring to a boil, and cook for 20 minutes, or until done. Remove chicken from water. When cool enough to handle, cut meat into bite-size pieces.(I put them in my crockpot with chicken broth, on high for 4.5 hours. I shredded them instead of cutting them into pieces)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses. In a separate bowl, mix together cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, onion, and salsa. Layer 1/2 of the rice, 1/2 of the chicken, 1/2 of the soup and salsa mixture, and 1/2 of the cheese mixture in prepared dish. Repeat layers, ending with cheese.(I mixed everything in a bowel, placed it in the baking dish, and them topped with cheese. I also used a Mexican Four Cheese blend instead of just Jack and Cheddar)
- Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until bubbly.(You can broil for 1 - 2 minutes to make it nice and brown on top as well)
I enjoyed this recipe, I think it would make a great filling for enchilada's, which I may try sometime. Of course there are ways to make this healthier ie: low-fat cheese, healthy request soups, and brown rice. I may make those substitutions next time.
Serving size: 1 cup
WW points per serving: 13 points.