Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Recipe Tuesday

I know, I know! It's been a while, but one of my resolutions was to get back into blogging, so here I am :) I'm back to posting recipes, and with them I will be including WW point values!

Usually I post pictures of me cooking my recipe, but my camera died and I couldn't find the charger, so use your imaginations!


Salsa Chicken and Rice Casserole (courtesy of all recipes)

Ingredients

  • 1 1/3 cups uncooked white rice
  • 2 2/3 cups water
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups mild salsa

Directions

  1. Place rice and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.(I used my rice cooker)
  2. Meanwhile, place chicken breast halves into a large saucepan, and fill the pan with water. Bring to a boil, and cook for 20 minutes, or until done. Remove chicken from water. When cool enough to handle, cut meat into bite-size pieces.(I put them in my crockpot with chicken broth, on high for 4.5 hours. I shredded them instead of cutting them into pieces)
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  4. In a medium bowl, combine Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses. In a separate bowl, mix together cream of chicken soup, cream of mushroom soup, onion, and salsa. Layer 1/2 of the rice, 1/2 of the chicken, 1/2 of the soup and salsa mixture, and 1/2 of the cheese mixture in prepared dish. Repeat layers, ending with cheese.(I mixed everything in a bowel, placed it in the baking dish, and them topped with cheese. I also used a Mexican Four Cheese blend instead of just Jack and Cheddar)
  5. Bake in preheated oven for about 40 minutes, or until bubbly.(You can broil for 1 - 2 minutes to make it nice and brown on top as well)
I served this with a side salad and Sailor Man heated up some corn tortilla's to go with it, next time I will include corn as a side.

I enjoyed this recipe, I think it would make a great filling for enchilada's, which I may try sometime. Of course there are ways to make this healthier ie: low-fat cheese, healthy request soups, and brown rice. I may make those substitutions next time.

Serving size: 1 cup
WW points per serving: 13 points.

2 comments:

Whitney @ Everything Happens For a Reason said...

Hey girl! I posted two recipes yesterday on my blog. One is supposed to be Weight Watcher friendly, if you wanna check it out :) I've made them twice, and think they are so yummy.

Mrs. 147 said...

Yummy!! I am totally making this for dinner tonight!!

Post a Comment

Let's all be adults here, please be respectful in your comments! Thanks for the comment and the love. I'd love to reply to you! If your email is not linked to your comment feel free to add it!

 
Copyright Confessions of a Sailor's Wife Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs