Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Recipe Tuesday: French Onion Soup

Ahhh fall and winter, soup and stew season for me! I love soups and stews but I feel weird eating them any other time of the year. So as soon as fall hits I am all about the soups. I may be sharing a lot in the next few weeks, just stay with me, they're amazing!!

                                                                         (source)

French Onion Soup

Ingredients 

  • 1 pound onions
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tbsp. flour
  • 1/4 tsp. brown sugar
  • 28oz. beef broth
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 
  • Ground pepper
  • 6 slices french bread
  • 1/3 cup swiss or gruyere cheese, shredded
  • 6 slices swiss or gruyere cheese  
Directions
  • Slice onions, thinly
  • Saute in butter for 45 minutes
  • add thyme after 30 minutes 
  • add flour and brown sugar (after the 45 minute onion sweat), simmer for 3 minutes
  • add broth, pepper and worcestershire sauce (stir well, and scrap up the bits on the bottom)
  • bring to a boil and then immediately reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes (the longer it simmers the better it tastes)
  • add shredded cheese and stir well, continue to simmer
  • place bread slices on baking sheet, add slices of cheese, broil for 1 minute
  • place bread in bowl, ladle soup on top

*the recipe included with the picture is not mine, and I've never made it, but I'm sure it's good and you can try that one too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Let's all be adults here, please be respectful in your comments! Thanks for the comment and the love. I'd love to reply to you! If your email is not linked to your comment feel free to add it!

 
Copyright Confessions of a Sailor's Wife Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs