Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Month of Love: Rebecca & Jacob




It all began on a cold night my first semester in college at Idaho State University.  I had recently graduated from high school in the previous May and had moved to Pocatello to further my education.  I really wasn’t looking for anything just friendship as I was in a long distance relationship with a guy in the Navy.  I was having a wonderful time in my classes, had an ok job at a diner, and had some nice roommates.  My sister and brother-in-law lived there in Pocatello as well, which I was so blessed to have.  I thought I had it all.  One night as I was just studying, my roommate and I decided we were done with studying.  Yes, our finals were coming up in a couple weeks, and we both had our plates full with those, but we needed to get out and go have some fun. We knew the LDS Institute was more often than not opened.  We decided to go play some pool, and luckily with it being cold my roommate offered to drive.  We were having a ton of fun just me and her (of course I won J ).  In comes two older guys who made a bet with us.  If they lose to us girls they would make us dinner, and vice versa.  Needless to say I ended up making dinner the next week for them.  We started off on a good friendship.  One late night at around 8 or 9 he asked us to come over to watch, of all things, The Simpsons.  This is where I fell head over heals.  Not for this guy, but for his roommate.  At around 10:30 his roommate, Jake came home from a long day of work and school.  He was in his scrubs (he was a CAN at the time) which I though was so hot.  Yep, you read that right.  He said hi and asked me what my name was.  That was the end of that or so I thought. 
            
Jake was so sweet, and about a week later he had invited me to come to his LDS choir production.  I was sick that night when he came over, but he didn’t care.  We just talked.  I did end up going to his choir program, and afterwards he asked me if I would like to go to see “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” at the SUB.  Of course I said yes!  He says that this wasn’t our first date, but technically it was since he did pay for me.
 
However, although Jake was sweet to me, he was chasing after another girl which I didn’t know.  I had gone over to his apartment to see if he was there, and what did I find a load of dirty dishes.  He was in Salt Lake with that girl he was chasing, and I knew I had to win him over.  The first thing I did was wash his dishes and let him know I was thinking about him.
 
During this time, life for me in Pocatello wasn’t going to great.  My job really wasn’t paying to well and my hours were dwindling.  I had left an amazing job as a hostess in a Mexican restaurant to attend school.  I called the owner to see if I could by chance get my job back and he gave it to me.  I told Jake by, but he wanted to see me a little more.  He even came to my apartment as I was packing my things with the help of my dad to move back home.  On December 21, the day after my 19th birthday, Jake came over to my parents’ home.  We just sat there and exchanged gifts (I gave him a sweater, and he gave me ear warmers which didn’t fit) and talked a lot.  We knew there was a spark and that we wanted to spend more time together.

Luckily even though I was now living back in Idaho Falls, I was commuting by bus everyday.  Most of my classes were down in Pocatello and that was a 45 minute commute both ways.  Almost everyday for lunch we would meet up at his apartment and he would feed me chicken nugget sandwiches or meet at the cafeteria.  We took trips to Sun Valley and Salt Lake with friends, and we fell in love.  Although it was  a hard semester commuting, we almost always saw each other or talked to each other.  He was studying premed and me accounting.

On June 18, 2003 he decided he would pop the question but that he needed to talk to my parents.  The first question my dad asked him was “How long do you expect to be married to my daughter?”  My dad has a querky sense of humor, but we love that.  He still was watching out for his baby girl.  

A couple days later, Jake took me out to Applebees and then took me up to the hill on Idaho State.  We walked to where the pillars were and he told me that he wanted to spend forever with me.  He had a customized ring made for me, but unfortunately the jeweler still had it.  Somehow he had my CTR ring and gave it to me in place of it.  I still have no idea when he got it or if I left it in his car.  He took me back to my apartment, and proposed to me again this time with the ring.  He even wrote a beautiful poem describing the ring and what it means for our relationship. 
           


On August 16, 2003, we were sealed for time and all eternity in the Idaho Falls, ID LDS temple.  It was a 2:30 wedding, and it was beautiful!  We had so much family there, and we had a beautiful reception at my parents place.  We went to the beautiful British Columbia, Canada for our honeymoon, but only for a week since we had to get back to life and college. 

Over the next year, Jake would be applying for medical school and attending interviews while I was going through my Sophomore year of college and working at Sears Jewelry and then Zions Bank.  We lived a few blocks from campus in a basement apartment and we were loving life.

Jake was accepted to medical school in Maryland at the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences and became an Army officer.  I of course followed him, and a year later we welcomed our first son Parker to our family.   It was a rough pregnancy but Jake was there and showed me love by cooking and cleaning since smells would just send me to the toilet.

We will be celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary this year!  We have had several adventures with medical school, Pathology residency, living in Maryland, Texas, and now Kentucky, being away from family, and adding two more boys to our family.  We have learned that we need to have greater love for each other and with us not living near family we need to rely on each other.  I think that has been the greatest blessing in our lives.  We don’t have a perfect family, but we do have each other!  


1 comments:

Angela said...

Love your story Becca and Jake.... those were fun times at ISU. Love walking down memory lane.... can't believe it's been 10 years already!

Post a Comment

Let's all be adults here, please be respectful in your comments! Thanks for the comment and the love. I'd love to reply to you! If your email is not linked to your comment feel free to add it!

 
Copyright Confessions of a Sailor's Wife Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs