Saturday, March 16, 2013

Clearing the air..


When I started this blog, 3 years ago, I started it as a way for me to cope with our new military life. I have a private blog, specifically for family posts, but because I'm paranoid and adhere to PERSEC I keep my family and this blog separate.  This blog was meant just as a personal journey for me, the military life was so new to me, and I was relived to find other women who were navigating the same journey.

About a 15 or so months ago, I started to feel like I was competing with these women. What did their blogs have that mine didn't? Why were they getting 25 comments on a post similar to one I wrote that got 1 comment. They have a link up? I should do one too. (fail). They're advertising? I better step up my game and do it too.

After my post about letting go, this is something I need to let go of. This is not a competition. This is about my life. Period. This isn't about yours, or hers, or even that lady over there. It's about mine. My journey, my navigating, my vents, my happiness, my life.

I have to stop comparing myself to others. I have to stop worrying about the number of comments or page views my posts get. I have to stop trying to beat this blog or that blog. I don't need to be the best, in reality, it's not a competition.

I had no intention of this being a "money maker" blog when I started. And I realized that I still don't have that intention. Yes, I will still offer the sponsor spaces, and I am still going to be working with small business to help promote themselves, but I'm not going to worry about those spots not being filled. If you're interested, let me know, if not, it wont hurt my feelings.

So, I'm letting go and getting back to the basics. This blog is about me and that's what I'll write about. If I get 10 million hits, super, if I get 1 great. I'm writing for me, I need a place to get everything out.I've had a case of writers black for a good while now, and I believe this is why. Putting the pressure on myself of having to write caused me to block.

There are still link ups and things I will participate in. When I get back to San Diego, I plan on doing my "adventures in the city" meme again. I will continue to do my 101 in 1001.  I'll still post my recipes and care package idea's. When Sailor Man gets home I'll post about date night. If I ever get to be crafty, I'll post those too. I wont adhere to a schedule, I wont worry about not posting a good enough topic.



4 comments:

Erin said...

I completely feel you. I sometimes wonder how some of these people get all of these followers and all of this "attention," but ultimately? I'm happy that my blog serves its purpose and I have other priorities in my life than dedicating it 100% to the blog and my readership.

Brittany Sommer said...

I have seriously been in the same exact boat. I tried the link up thing and even with 250 followers, it didn't work out. I have often felt saddened by the fact that I rarely get comments but at the end of the day this is a place I go to for stress management mostly. It's my journal. I don't hold anything back here so what should I care if someone likes what I have to say? I'm glad you have realized the same thing! Love you!

Allie said...

I am right there with you! Everytime I get a comment it literally makes my day. It is hard to pour your soul out sometimes and get NO feedback. I don't even rely on my google friend connect counter thing, it is depressing to compare a number in the 300s to the one or two comments I get. I hope people are reading and get something out of it. If not, it is important to me and that is good enough! Would I love to have thousands of followers and get 50 comments per entry? Of course. But it is not the end of the world that I don't.

aracely9 said...

I agree with you. It is more based on what a person shares and knows it will help someone compared to numbers.

Post a Comment

Let's all be adults here, please be respectful in your comments! Thanks for the comment and the love. I'd love to reply to you! If your email is not linked to your comment feel free to add it!

 
Copyright Confessions of a Sailor's Wife Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs