Thursday, March 7, 2013

Rewind 365: Birthday Salute

 

 I am actually rewinding 2,190 days.

6 years ago today I was 9 months pregnant and standing in my mom's kitchen making Spaghetti O's (which don't taste nearly as good now as I was when I was 10). I was dancing around awaiting my delicious lunch when I suddenly felt a drop. I thought I'd peed my pants, which I'd managed to go 9 months with out doing. I was relieved no one was home! I went into the bathroom only to not have to pee but it felt like something was dripping. I called Labor & Delivery and our conversation went like this:

Me: "Hi, I think my water broke"
Nurse: "You think?"
Me: "I don't know how it's supposed to feel"
Nurse: "Is it gushing?"
Me: "No"
Nurse: trying to stifle a laugh "well come on in and we'll test you"

I waited for my mom to get home and she drove me to the hospital. I called Sailor Man at work and told him what was happening, and that I'd call him from the hospital when I knew more. I knew it was not that best thing to do since we were both anxious to meet our first born. Anyway. My mom and I went into the hospital and I was having ZERO signs of labor. I was pretty sure the nurses were going to laugh at me and send me on my way.

When the nurse came back she patted me on the leg and said "Good news! You're having a baby today". I called Sailor Man and he came down to the hospital and I was admitted. When I was admitted I was a finger tip dilated and not actually in labor. I was waiting for the "hollywood" version of labor. I was expecting the huge gush of water, the intense labor pains, and the screaming through the pain until I got to hold my baby girl.

Nope, that didn't happen. After 2 cervix softeners, 2 rounds of pitocen, hours and hours of walking, and 30 hours later -- I was dilated to a whopping 4cm. I was tired, my body was tired, Sailor Man was tired. We just weren't getting anywhere.

After a discussion with the doctor, Sailor Man, my parents and myself,  I had a c-section and at 4:07pm Goose made her appearance. It was love at first sight. She was so beautiful and she took my breath away. Sailor Man was so sweet with her, he was almost afraid of her. In fact my mom had to urge him to touch her.

2, 191 days ago, I became a mom. 6 years ago my life changed for the better. 6 years ago we became a family.

Happy Birthday to my sweet girl.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Let's all be adults here, please be respectful in your comments! Thanks for the comment and the love. I'd love to reply to you! If your email is not linked to your comment feel free to add it!

 
Copyright Confessions of a Sailor's Wife Design Copyright Jane Whitney Designs